Due to Covid-19, the 2021 Hyechka music scholarship competition will be recorded performances. If you are interested in competing, please follow the instructions mentioned in the downloadable application package included below.
The applicant must attend an accredited high school or equivalent in Northeast Oklahoma and must have been a resident of Northeast Oklahoma for at least 6 months at the time of application. Northeast Oklahoma is the quadrant determined by I-35 N/S and I- 40 E/W.
A transcript or, if home schooled, a statement from the responsible party, reflecting a minimum 3.0 grade average (including 9th grade), must accompany the application with a non-refundable $20.00 entry fee for the first scholarship application and $10.00 for each additional application.
Application and payment for entry fee must be included in the packet.
1. No award will be made if the judges deem no applicant worthy. THE DECISION OF THE JUDGES IS FINAL.
2. Applicant must have studied with present teacher a minimum of 6 months. Voice applicants must have studied music at least 4 years and at least 2 years of that in voice.
3. Applicant may win more than one scholarship, including different disciplines. No scholarship will be divided.
Performers’ total performance time shall be up to 20 minutes. Instrumentalists and vocalists must provide their own accompanist or recorded accompanist part to use for the performance. The applicant must perform three contrasting compositions by memory, by different composers (except the Debbi Turner); NEVER two movements from the same composition. Transcriptions will be permitted only when no original compositions are available for the specific instrument as approved by the committee. If in doubt, confer with the chairman.
In the packet, each contestant shall include three copies of each piece to be performed for distribution to the judges. Nothing from the packet will be returned to the applicant.
1. One composition from the Baroque period. If a selection is chosen from Bach’s WTC, book 1 or 2, both the prelude and the fugue must be performed. This only applies to these selections.
2. One movement of a Sonata from the Classical period—either first or last movement.
3. A Romantic, Impressionistic or Contemporary composition. This piece should not exceed 10 minutes playing time.
Miriam Spindler Lynch Piano Scholarship:
1. A Bach Prelude & Fugue (or a composition of equal difficulty, with advance approval of the Scholarship Committee).
2. Sonata by Beethoven, Mozart or Haydn, first or last movement.
3. Selection by a Romantic or Contemporary Composer.
1. Classical Italian Art Song sung in its original language.
2. French or German Art song sung in its original language or in English.
3. American or English Art song by a contemporary composer.
4. No Operatic Arias may be used for any selection.
1. A composition from the Classical or Baroque period.
2. A composition from the Romantic or Contemporary period.
3. A composition from standard repertoire of the performer’s choice.
4. No piece should exceed 10 minutes playing time.
Debbi Turner Woodwind From memory contrasting pieces including:
1. A selection from the Baroque or classical period.
2. A selection from the Romantic or contemporary period.
3. A selection of choice (may be played from the music.)
The Hyechka Scholarship Program was established in 1945 with a single award of less than $500. Today Hyechka offers a variety of scholarship awards ranging from $1000 to $6,000, in total almost $24,000. The scholarships are open to any serious music student who lives in or attends schools in Oklahoma.
To apply for the Hyechka Music Scholarship, please download the following application package:
Following are the list of scholarships offered: